What is Marketing Automation?
Simply put, marketing automation is the use of technology and software to manage and automate the process of converting prospects into qualified leads and customers. Marketing automation is about qualifying leads and sending those qualified leads to salespeople.
Marketing automation enables marketers to automate marketing processes and optimise lead generation and nurturing programs from the very first contact with a prospect through the entire sales process.
How Does Marketing Automation Work?
Marketing Automation helps marketing and sales teams work together to generate and qualify sales leads, shorten sales cycles, and demonstrate marketing accountability. A marketing automation system typically offers:
- Micro-level analytics tracking all touch points with a prospect – forms, page views, emails, and more
- Prospect scoring based on parameters to prioritise sales reps’ time
- Automated lead nurturing emails sent to prospects based on pre-defined rules
- Integration with CRM systems
- Automatic notifications for sales reps of prospects' online activity
- Closed sales loop allowing for easy calculation of cost per lead and marketing ROI
- Easy creation and editing of online marketing campaigns.
Marketing Automation Gains Momentum
- The marketing automation sector will reach a value of $4.8 billion in 2015, up from $3.2 billion in 2010 (IDC).
- Businesses that use marketing automation to nurture prospects experience a 451% increase in qualified leads. (The Annuitas Group).
- The adoption of marketing automation technology is expected to increase by 50% by 2015. (Sirius Decisions).
- Companies that excel at lead nurturing generate 50% more sales ready leads at 33% lower cost. (Forrester Research)
Marketing Automation Benefits
By automating the various tasks and workflows involved in demand generation, lead
management, and sales and marketing alignment, marketing automation contributes to:
- Streamline and automate marketing tasks to increase operational efficiency
- Drive revenue and better marketing ROI through more qualified leads
- Save time and resources by automating marketing programs effectively and efficiently
- Engage prospects in highly relevant and personalised interactions based on prospects' behaviour
- Demonstrate the impact of marketing on the total revenue generated
- Generate sales-ready leads and shorten sales cycles
- Align the efforts of marketing and sales teams to substantially increase top-line revenue growth
- Create a faster and more predictable revenue cycle.
Marketing Automation Explained in 2 minutes:
Marketing Automation Buyer's Guide
Read this marketing automation guide to learn:
- 10 Questions to Ask When Evaluating Marketing Automation Systems
- Anatomy of a Marketing Automation Solution
- Steps to Implementing a Successful Marketing Automation System
- Marketing Automation Functionality Checklist
- Marketing Automation Comparison Chart